July 14, 2005
Five of the top 20 have to do with Social Security politics. Only two items in the top 30 have anything directly to do with educating children. As Michelle Malkin points out, however, they made room during their efforts to demand a withdrawal from Iraq (number 61), oppose CAFTA, (number 63), and support the boycott of Gallo Wines (number 47).
If I wanted to parody the NEA, I couldn't draft a better list than this. Anyone arguing that this special-interest group has the welfare of children as its first priority should read this list carefully and often.
Take 2 and the rest of the world can go to hell for up to 8 full hours.
ST. MOMMAS WORT
Plant extract that treats moms depression by rendering preschoolers unconscious for up to two days.
EMPTYNESTROGEN Suppository that eliminates melancholy and loneliness by reminding you of how awful they were as teenagers and how you couldnt wait till they moved out.
Liquid silicone drink for single women. Two full cups swallowed before an evening out increases breast size, decreases intelligence, and prevents conception.
When taken with Peptobimbo, can cause dangerously low IQ, resulting in enjoyment of country music and pickup trucks.
Increases life expectancy of commuters by controlling road rage and the urge to flip off other drivers.
Potent anti-boy-otic for older women. Increases resistance to such lethal lines as, You make me want to be a better person...Can we get naked now?
Injectable stimulant taken prior to shopping Increases potency, duration, and credit limit of spending spree.
Relieves headache caused by a man who cant remember your birthday, anniversary, phone number, or to put the toilet seat back down.
A spray carried in a purse or wallet to be used on anyone too eager to share their life stories with total strangers in elevators.
When administered to a boyfriend or husband, provides the same irritation level as nagging him
So terrorist Abdurahman Khadr's story is being made into a movie. Holy crap! And I thought that having Oliver Stone make a 9/11 movie was a bad idea. I can already see the MSM fawning over this picture. And it's already begun. Excerpt:
Vincent Newman, president of Vincent Newman Entertainment, who bought the rights, is quoted hailing Khadrs a classic black sheep storya story about the rebel of the family. Khadr meanwhile has reserved the rights to develop the screenplay. Variety notes that it appears it will follow the storyline that makes him look best....
I guess getting his tongue pierced was too last century for Khadr. Maybe the movie will tell of his new career selling T-shirts with eye-catching slogans:
1) "Mom and dad blew up a busload of tourists and all I got was this loust T-shirt"
2) "My other car is an exploding suicide Deathmobile"
3) "Infidels? I LOVE the infidels. PULL!!"
They might have been congratulated for their "green" efforts in an area of heavy air pollution.
Instead a group of French cleaning ladies who organised a car-sharing scheme to get to work are being taken to court by a coach company which accuses them of "an act of unfair and parasitical competition".
The women, who live in Moselle and work five days a week at EU offices in Luxembourg, are being taken to court by Transports Schiocchet Excursions, which runs a service along the route. It wants the women to be fined and their cars confiscated.
Two years ago a business tribunal threw out the company's case. It is now pursuing the women in a higher court, claiming that their action has cost it â¬2m (Â£1.4m).
The women explained that for many years cleaners used the TSE line for the 40-minute ride across the border, which cost them â¬110 (Â£76) a month.
"Using our cars is quicker and at least twice as cheap. And on the bus we didn't have the right to eat or even to speak," said Martine Bourguignon. Odette Friedmann added: "In the evening instead of coming to get us at 9.30pm the bus would arrive at 10.30pm. If you made any comment to the driver you'd get a mouthful of abuse."
"It's absurd and ridiculous," said the women's lawyer, CÃ©cile Klein-Schmitt. "I don't see how any magistrate can find any legal basis for this case."
TSE is also suing the women's employer, Onet-Luxembourg. "They've basically accused us of inciting the car-sharing scheme when we have nothing to do with the method of transport used by our staff," said director FrÃ©dÃ©ric Sirerol.
The court case will be heard in January next year.
Related update: Apparently it's illegal in Japan to mock the French. That's okay. I'm glad to pick up the slack over here in the US. Bashing those cheese-eating surrender asswarts makes me smile. A lot.
July 13, 2005
The birth of a hurricane starts as a low pressure zone and builds into a tropical wave of low pressure.
In addition to a disturbance in the tropical ocean water, the storms that become hurricanes also require warm ocean waters (above 80Â°F or 27Â°C down to 150 feet or 50 meters below sea level) and light upper level winds.
A tropical wave grows in intensity and then may grow to become an organized area of showers and thunderstorms known as a tropical disturbance. This disturbance becomes an organized area of tropical low pressure that is called a tropical depression based on cyclonic winds (counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere). A tropical depression's wind speed must be at or below 38 miles per hour (mph) or 62 km/hr when averaged out over one minute. These winds are measured at 33 feet (10 meters) above the surface.
Once average winds reach 39 mph or 63 km/hr then the cyclonic system becomes a tropical storm and receives a name while tropical depressions are numbered (i.e. Tropical Depression 4 became Tropical Storm Chantal in the 2001 season.) Tropical storm names are preselected and issued alphabetically for each storm.
There are approximately 80-100 tropical storms annually and about half of these storms become full-fledged hurricanes. It is at 74 mph or 119 km/hr that a tropical storm becomes a hurricane. Hurricanes can be from 60 to almost 1000 miles wide. They vary widely in intensity; their strength is measured on the Saffir-Simpson scale from a weak category 1 storm to a catastrophic category 5 storm. There were only two category 5 hurricanes with winds over 156 mph and a pressure of less than 920 mb (the world's lowest pressures ever recorded were caused by hurricanes) that struck the United States in the 20th century. The two were a 1935 hurricane that struck the Florida Keys and Hurricane Camille in 1969[Note: Hurricane Andrew has been upgraded from Category 4 to 5 since this was written]. Only 14 category 4 storms hit the U.S. and these included the nation's deadliest hurricane - the 1900 Galveston, Texas hurricane and Hurricane Andrew which hit Florida and Louisiana in 1992.
Just when things could not possibly get worse, her foot got caught in the stirrup. When this happened, she fell head first to the ground. Her head continued to bounce harder as the horse did not stop or even slow down.
Just as she was giving up hope and losing consciousness, the Wal-Mart manager came out and unplugged it.
I'd long since relegated Ivins to the Kossacks bin of frothing and insanity. However, kudos to Molly for doing the right thing and admitting that she was not only wrong, but egregiously so. Anyway, Ms. Ivins, this one's for you:
Bang, zoom, into the blogroll with you!
Update: Steve noticed, too, and from a reliable source: Paul Harvey. Sure, he can't stop shilling for Pleasant's Hardware and all of his other advertisers, but he's pretty much a no bullshit sort of guy.
You know what's really bad? Jennifer Love Hewitt won't be appearing in the third installment of IKWYDLS. Being a student of fashion, let me just say that her bikini top in the first sequel was quite eye-catching. If you don't know of what I speak, check out this link.
July 12, 2005
July 11, 2005
Acute Lymphoblast Leukemia (ALL)
Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)
Acute Biphenotypic Leukemia
Acute Undifferentiated Leukemia
Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
Juvenile Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (JCML)
Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia (JMML)
Refractory Anemia (RA)
Refractory Anemia with Ringed Sideroblasts (RARS)
Refractory Anemia with Excess Blasts (RAEB)
Refractory Anemia with Excess Blasts in Transformation (RAEB-T)
Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia (CMML)
Stem Cell Disorders
Aplastic Anemia (Severe)
Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria (PNH)
Pure Red Cell Aplasia
Agnogenic Myeloid Metaplasia (myelofibrosis)
Chronic Granulomatous Disease
Neutrophil Actin Deficiency
Other Inherited Disorders
Inherited Platelet Abnormalities
Amegakaryocytosis / Congenital Thrombocytopenia
Inherited Metabolic Disorders
Hurler's Syndrome (MPS-IH)
Scheie Syndrome (MPS-IS)
Hunter's Syndrome (MPS-II)
Sanfilippo Syndrome (MPS-III)
Morquio Syndrome (MPS-IV)
Maroteaux-Lamy Syndrome (MPS-VI)
Sly Syndrome, Beta-Glucuronidase Deficiency (MPS-VII)
Mucolipidosis II (I-cell Disease)
Familial Erythrophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis
Inherited Erythrocyte Abnormalities
Beta Thalassemia Major
Sickle Cell Disease
Inherited Immune System Disorders
Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency
Bare Lymphocyte Syndrome
Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID)
SCID with Adenosine Deaminase Deficiency
Absence of T & B Cells SCID
Absence of T Cells, Normal B Cell SCID
Common Variable Immunodeficiency
X-Linked Lymphoproliferative Disorder
Plasma Cell Disorders
Plasma Cell Leukemia
Renal Cell Carcinoma
As an FYI: all of the treatments above use adult stem cells. Currently, no embryonic stem cell research has reached the clinical trial phase.
* While ears need to be cleaned regularly, this is a job that should be done in private using one's OWN truck keys.
* Proper use of toiletries can forestall bathing for several days. However, if you live alone, deodorant is a waste of good money.
* Dirt and grease under the fingernails is a social no-no, as they tend to detract from a woman's jewelry and sometimes alter the taste of finger foods.
* When decanting wine, make sure that you tilt the paper cup, and pour slowly so as not to "bruise" the fruit of the vine.
* If drinking directly from the bottle, always hold it with your fingers covering the label.
ENTERTAINING IN YOUR HOME
* A centerpiece for the table should not be something prepared by a taxidermist.
* Do not allow the dog to eat at the table...no matter how good his manners
DATING (Outside the Family)
* Always offer to bait your date's hook, especially on the FIRST date.
* Be aggressive. Let her know you're interested: "I've been wanting to go out with you ever since I read that stuff on the bathroom wall two years ago."
* Establish with her parents what time she is expected back. Some will say 10:00 PM; others might say "Monday." If the latter is the answer, it is the man's responsibility to get her to school on time.
* Crying babies should be taken to the lobby. and picked up immediately, after the movie has ended.
* Refrain from talking to characters on the screen. Tests have proven they can't hear you.
* Livestock, usually, is a poor choice for a wedding gift.
* When kissing the bride, it's impolite to use your tongue.
* For the groom, at least, rent a tux. A leisure suit with a cummerbund and a clean bowling shirt is considered tacky in some circles
* Though uncomfortable, say "yes" to socks and shoes for this special occasion.
* Dim your headlights for approaching vehicles; Even if the gun is loaded, and the deer is in sight.
* When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires and the most guns in the rack always has the right of way.
* Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
* When sending your wife down the road with a gas can, it is impolite to ask her to bring back beer.
* Never relieve yourself from a moving vehicle, especially when driving.
* Do not lay rubber when leaving a funeral or burial site.
TIPS FOR ALL OCCASIONS
* Never take beer to a job interview, leave it outside.
* Always identify people in your yard before shooting at them.
* It's considered tacky to take a cooler to church, no matter how long the sermon.
* If you have to vacuum the bed, it is time to change the sheets.
* Even if you're certain that you are included in the will, it is still considered poor taste to drive a U-Haul to the funeral home.
Frankly, I sometimes think the New York cocktail crowd thinks Dr. Strangelove was a documentary.
96 queries taking 0.1769 seconds, 281 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.